Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Huge Dark Tower Post

I did these awhile back for a project that isn't going to see the light of day due to various circumstances. Which is fine...I'm just excited to finally get to show the art.

So 12 DT images. Some of them contain pretty big spoilers. So don't say I didn't warn ya :)

 This one is of  Roland, Cuthburt & Alain at Jericho Hill days before the actual battle takes place. I liked the idea of them scouting the area coming up with ways to use the landscape to their advantage.

 I always imagined that Roland blacks out as he goes through the final door of the tower and emerges once again into the great desert.  Kind of a hard restart on his brain.


 The Tower itself. I think I actually enjoyed painting the huge head on the right more then the tower. The tower feels very dull and lifeless here. I always felt restricted to the horizontal layout I had to paint in. I know I am going to redo this painting at some time. And since these are all digital expect to see that head to show up in the new painting. I'm not going to repaint it if I don't have too :)


 Roland losing his fingers. One of the most memorable parts of the series for me. My 15 year old mind was so infuriated that Roland was loosing shooting fingers I was sure I was never going to enjoy the rest of the books.


 Walter. Marten. Randall. All Man in Black.


 Even the Crimson King must have had a mother. So I painted a Crimson Queen. Who now looks to be too whoreish in my eyes.  She deserves a repaint as well. Something a bit more regal...but still sexy.


 Shardik. Just a big bear with a dish on his head. Super fun to paint.


 Eddie looking for 'astin' for Roland. I'm never painting boxes of medicine on a counter again. Ever.


 Prego Mia in one of the towers of Castle Discordia waiting for her chap. I loved painting this one.


 Gabrielle Deschain has a moment of horrible realization and of course Marten is there to grin about it.


 The insane Crimson King screaming from his perch on the tower. I think he went crazy due to all the birds outside constantly squawking. SHUT YOUR DAMNABLE BEAKS YOU WINGED PARASITES EEEEEEEEEE!


 The Manni cave.


 This is a side by side comparison of a before and after rework of Eddie Dean. I think it needs a third pass.

7 comments:

Daghain said...

Those are amazing. I'm going to miss our art contests so much. :(

Natalie Maki-Lechner said...

WOW! Great work! Natalie (Maki) Lechner

That Woman said...

Excellent!

Mike Moses said...

I stumbled upon your art and I must say I absolutely love it! I hope you do more! They say nothing can compare to the imagination but I think you do justice :)


I wish I could paint as well as you!Once again, I love it all!

Unknown said...

You are a genius and the one with Roland I'm getting as a tattoo looks so amazing hope you dont mind.

Plants of Belize said...

Love your art. Fan from Belize.

Plants of Belize said...

Love your art. Fan from Belize.